Monday, November 14, 2011

USA UGRAD student exchange interview Questions and Answers


Date: 16  December 2009
Time: 9.05 - 9.30 am [25 minutes only, there are more interviewees after me]
Location:  MACEE office [18th Floor Menara Yayasan Tun Razak, 200 Jalan Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur.

When I went into the interview room, I was met by two American interviewers, a lady and a man. I was glad that their spoken English was clear and easy to understand. We shake hands and they ask me to sit down for the interview. I brought along all my documents but they did not ask for it. I tried to make the interview into a conversation and it was a success. Following are the interview questions and my responds.

[Note: It is important to turn the stressful interview into a usual conversation. This will help as it exhibits your conversation skill.]

1) What interest you about study in U.S?
I like US cultures and education system very much. Since I was young, I wish to go to US to study but my parents financial did not allow me to do that. Because of this, I greatly hope that this programme will give me opportunity to expose to US fully.
[Note: You must show great interest to go USA and convince them why]

2) Do you been to foreign country before?
I have not been to far away foreign country like US before. But, I have been to near countries like Thailand and China.
[Note: You will have higher chances to be chosen if you haven’t been to foreign country before. As they would like to give this exchange opportunity to those who cannot afford to travel to foreign country. ]

3) What is your hobby?
I like to do exercises like jogging and playing table tennis. Besides that, I love reading during free time. I like to read books including textbooks, magazine, and …novels.
[Note: I purposely say novels the last so that the interviewers ask further question about novels.]

4) You like reading, what kind of novel you read?
The novel I love most is The Da Vinci Code written by Dan Brown, I like the science fiction, logical and analytical thinking behind this book.

5) If you are chosen to study in US, beside studies, what activities you would like to do during your free time?
I will join co-curricular activities such as Red Crescent Society and join lifesaving course. Besides, I will play table tennis because it is my hobby.

6) What did you do for Quartermaster 2 in PBSM?
My post as a Quartermaster 2 in Red Crescent Society is to take care of first aid kits. I have to make sure that there are enough medicines inside all the kits and make sure that the medicines did not expire. If not enough medicines, I have to buy from Pharmacy and claim from the society.

7) As I know, your father is Inspector Police, and your mother is headmistress, what do they influenced you?
They influenced me a lot, they built up my discipline and teach me to have good conduct. Every day, my father will go jogging with me and this make me healthy.

8) You wrote in your personal statement, what is the course “Math of the brain?”
“Math of the brain” is an undergraduate course launched by Stanford University this year. It teaches us how to use Math concept to investigate our human brain such as probability and statistic that can be proven by Math.

9) How long do you wish, one semester or two semesters?
 I prefer two semesters because it give me more time to expose to US cultures and educational system fully.

10) If you are chosen but not for Stanford University, will this disappoint you?
No, I would not feel upset, because as I know, there are more that 2000 good Universities and Colleges in US, and it is my privilege to study in any one of them.

11) Is it OK for you to eat Western food everyday?
I will prepare myself for that. Although I know I may not used to it at first, but some time later I may accustom myself to it.

12) You experienced winter before? How will you face it?
I never experienced winter before, but my eldest brother experienced it before while he study medicine in Russia. He told me he will lend me his winter clothes if I go to US.

13) You have two brothers, where are they now?
My eldest brother graduated in Russia and currently become a doctor in University Malaya Hospital. My second brother is studying medicine in UKM.

14) Did you have any scholarship now?
No, I did not have any.
[Note: They ask this question to ascertain whether your scholarship allows you to go for student exchange during the period they sponsor you.]

15) Are you prepared to extend your University?
Ya, I prepared to extend a year for this programme.

16) Are your University let you go for this student exchange?
Sure, no problem for my Univerisity.

17) I can see here, you have very good results.
Ya, just normal for me.

18) What is the greatest challenge you think you may face when you go to US?
I think it will be the cultural difference. I prepared myself not to get cultural shock because of the food and language. My native language is Mandarin and I have to use English when I am in US.
Interviewer 1: Using English everyday is very tiring.
[Note: My mistake over here, do not say that language is your challenge, a good candidate must not language is your greatest challenge.]

19) You say you want to be a math educator, you want to teach secondary school or higher education?
After I finish my undergraduate, I will be a secondary school teacher. Then, I will further my Master and PhD and then become a lecturer in University.
Interviewer 1: You done pretty well. You have good chance but I have to interview all the other applicants before making final decision. I will inform you in a few days. There will be 9 scholarships available.
[Note: The number of scholarships available depends on their budget, as of 2015, I think they reduced to 8]

I: How do you inform me?
Interviewer 1: We will inform you using email. I think it is the fastest way, do you know how to use email?

I: For sure I know, thank you very much.
(Shake hand with both the interviewers and went out of the interview room.)


11 comments:

  1. its help me a lot.
    your post about ugrad exchange made me fulls of the delights of spring

    well, keep sharing, cause people in the world need it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The questions will help a lot for newcomer. They can get preparation and see the question type from here and it will lead to be succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW CAN YOU REMEMBER ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS AND THE ANSWERS OF THEM? AMAZING LAD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow really superb you had posted one nice information through this. Definitely it will be useful for many people. So please keep update like this.
    Hr Consultancy in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I’d like to ask you how much time does it take the selection committee to announce the list of the shortlisted candidates for the TOEFL after passing their interviews. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. exactly not ,whatever this man is included and shared ,obviously u can notice the grammatical mistakes that this person committed ,if this man had been selected and granted scholarship . then nobody will be rejected .and one thing more how he remembered all the questions asked in interview .oh come on yarr don't tell lie .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Do they offer any scholarship or we have to go on our own expenses??????

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gain more knowledge in this post thanks alot

    ReplyDelete